Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Car Use Declines Despite Drop in Gas Prices

By Ali Bhanpuri

DOWNTOWN— Four months ago, Milo Milovanovic decided to use public transportation more and to drive less. He has continued to take the train from Malden into the city, even though gas prices have plummeted more than a dollar since July.

“I take public transportation much more,” says Milovanovic, 40. “I also take better care of my car; I don’t go over the speed limit or drive too fast.”

The price for a gallon of regular unleaded gas in Boston was $2.46 on Nov. 2; it cost $4.06 per gallon on average in early July, according to AAA Southern New England’s daily averages. Many Boston drivers are continuing to leave their car keys at home to cut costs.

Milovanonvic says he has maintined his new lifestyle because he wanted to do “his part to save energy.”

Across the country, the demand for gas has declined since the summer. Since July, the gas supplied has decreased by 8.2 percent or 777,000 barrels, according to official energy statistics from the U.S. government.

“People are driving less, and I think it has to do with the economy,” says Holly Sutherland, who works at the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority.

Fewer people are driving on I-90 and I-93, according to authority statistics. Toll transactions have dropped 5.2 percent (1,830,868 transactions) between July and August from 2007 and 2008.

In fiscal 2008, about 375 million people used public transportation, 21 million riders more than in fiscal 2007, according to the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. The MBTA did not return messages.

Desiree Ashong, 24, moved to Boston six weeks ago, leaving her 2003 Honda Civic at home to save on car expenses.

“Having a car is expensive, and it made me think,” says Ashong, who received train passes from her former employer as encouragement to use public transportation. “I feel passionate about conserving energy. After taking public transportation in Atlanta, I felt confident that I would be okay [in Boston].”

For Michael Anza, 25, of Weston, the change in gas prices hasn’t affected his driving habits.

“Are people really doing that?” says Anza, who recently started a health insurance job downtown. “Have I made a conscious effort to change how I drive? Absolutely not.”




No comments: